Aboriginal Update for Aboriginal Health Workers & Practitioners
Role-specific education for Aboriginal and/or Torres Strait Islander Health Workers and Practitioners.
Part of the National Asthma Council Australia's Asthma Best Practice for Professionals Program, supported by the Australian Government Department of Health.
The Asthma Update for Aboriginal Health Workers and Practitioners provides an overview of asthma and spirometry tailored to the specific needs of Aboriginal health workers and Aboriginal Health Practitioners. Topics include asthma, medications, correct inhaler device use, written asthma action plans, emergency management and spirometry.
Workshops are presented by health professional peer educators from our team of experts, which includes asthma and respiratory educators and respiratory scientists.
Participants: Aboriginal Health Workers, Aboriginal Health Practitioners, Aboriginal Outreach Workers and Aboriginal Liaison Workers working within Primary Care, e.g. with device use education.
Duration: 4 hours
When: Visit our workshop calendar
Learning objectives for participants:
- Increase knowledge and awareness of asthma, medications used for asthma/COPD, correct inhaler device use and asthma emergency treatment
- Develop practical skills to teach correct device use
- Increase confidence in managing patients with asthma
Increase knowledge of the role and performing of spirometry
Each workshop is held in conjunction with a local host organisation, which is usually an Aboriginal Medical Service or Medicare Local. Hosting a workshop is generally quite straightforward, as the NAC coordinates the presenters and resource materials (including associated expenses).
The host organisation will need to:
- Schedule and organise the session
- Arrange the venue, audio visual equipment and catering
- Promote the workshop to local Aboriginal Health Workers
- Receive registrations and confirm attendee participation
- Be on-hand to coordinate the running of the workshop
- Provide a brief report on the workshop after the session
Funding is available to assist host organisations with their costs.
If your organisation would like to host a workshop, please complete and return the Workshop Request Form.