Using your nasal inhaler spray properly is important.
This short video shows you how to use Avamys.
View or print these instructions as a one-page factsheet:
Checklist of steps
- Blow your nose gently, if needed
- Shake the nasal spray
- Remove the cap by gently squeezing the sides of the cap
- Tilt your head forward
- Place the nozzle in one of your nostrils
- Point the nozzle away from the centre of your nose, towards the inside corner of your eye on the same side*
- While breathing in through your nose, firmly press the side button once
- Remove the nozzle and breathe out through your mouth
- Repeat steps 4–8 for your other nostril
- Wipe the nozzle and the inside of the cap
- Replace the cap
*You might find this easier if you use your opposite hand to hold the spray
Your nasal inhaler spray will come with instructions in the package. Always check the package insert for any specific instructions.
Common errors to avoid
- Forgetting to prime the inhaler spray device before first use or if you haven't used it for a while
- Skipping doses
- Holding your head in the wrong position (should be tilted forward, not back)
- Pushing the nozzle too hard or far into your nose
- Blowing your nose hard after spraying (the medicine is lost)
- Sniffing hard after spraying (the medicine ends up in your throat instead of your nose)
- Using saline sprays or irrigations after using the medicine, instead of before.