Using your inhaler properly is important when you have asthma or COPD (chronic obstructive pulmonary disease).
This short clip shows you how to load a Respimat before first use.
A Respimat is used with a number of different medications. These include:
- Spiolto (tiotropium plus olodaterol)
- Spiriva (tiotropium)
Daily use of Respimat
The Respimat cartridge needs to be loaded before using the inhaler for the first time. For regular use of the Respimat after the cartridge has been loaded, follow the steps for Respimat (daily use after loaded).
Checklist for Respimat (loading before first use)
- Keep the cap closed.
- Remove clear base: press safety catch while firmly pulling off base with other hand.
- Insert the narrow end of the cartridge into the inhaler.
- Place the inhaler on a firm surface and push down firmly until it snaps into place.
- Put the clear base back into place until it clicks.
- Turn the clear base in the direction of the arrows on the label until it clicks (half a turn).
- Open the cap until it snaps fully open.
- Point the inhaler toward the ground. Then press the dose-release button.
- Close the cap.
- Repeat steps 6–9 until you see a cloud coming out when you press the dose-release button.
- Repeat steps 6–9 three more times.
- We suggest that you ask your pharmacist to load the cartridge for you.
Thanks to Ms Judi Wicking, asthma and respiratory educator, and the patient who participated in this film clip.
Development of this How-to video was supported by an untied educational grant from Boehringer Ingelheim. The National Asthma Council Australia retained editorial control.