Australian Asthma Handbook
The Australian Asthma Handbook is Australia's national guidelines for asthma management and National Asthma Council Australia's flagship publication, forming the foundation of all our health professional resources.
"The Australian Asthma Handbook was developed by primary care for primary care. It contains exactly what primary carers need — practical and useful information in plain English, underpinned by the latest evidence." Prof. A. Barnard
The Australian Asthma Handbook Website
Providing best practice, evidence-based guidance, the Handbook is an innovative, easy-to-use and searchable website.
Version 2.0 of the Handbook was published in March 2019. This is the first major update to the full edition published as version 1.0 in March 2014. This version incorporates updated evidence and advice on managing asthma in children, acute asthma, primary prevention, and management challenges (formerly troubleshooting).
Developed by a multidisciplinary team of respiratory specialists and primary care health professionals, the Handbook is our flagship publication and forms the foundation of all our health professional resources.
- Major update to 2014 edition
- More than 500 clear and practical recommendations
- The best evidence gathered using a rigorous methodology
- Extensive links to related resources and cited references
- Practice considerations for all primary care health professionals
- The Handbook is endorsed by the Australian Primary Health Care Nurses Association (APNA), the Pharmaceutical Society of Australia (PSA), the Royal Australian College of General Practitioners (RACGP), the Society of Hospital Pharmacists of Australia (SHPA), and the Thoracic Society of Australia and New Zealand (TSANZ).