Australian Asthma Handbook
The Australian Asthma Handbook is Australia's national guidelines for asthma management and National Asthma Council Australia's flagship publication, forming the foundation of all our health professional resources.
"The Australian Asthma Handbook was developed by primary care for primary care. It contains exactly what primary carers need — practical and useful information in plain English, underpinned by the latest evidence." Prof. A. Barnard
The Australian Asthma Handbook Website
Providing best practice, evidence-based guidance, the Handbook is now an innovative, easy-to-use and searchable website.
Version 1.1 of the Handbook was published in April 2015. This is a minor update to the full edition published as version 1.0 in March 2014. The update covers addition of new evidence-based advice on asthma medications launched since publication of the original version, plus a small number of clarifications and corrections of existing guidance in response to user feedback.
Developed by a multidisciplinary team of nearly 100 respiratory specialists and primary care health professionals, and incorporating feedback from more than 1000 primary care professionals, the Handbook is our flagship publication and forms the foundation of all our health professional resources.
- Complete update to 2006 edition of the Asthma Management Handbook
- More than 500 clear and practical recommendations
- The best evidence gathered using a rigorous methodology
- Extensive links to related resources and cited references
- Practice considerations for all primary care health professionals
- The Handbook is endorsed by the Royal Australian College of General Practitioners (RACGP), the Australian Primary Health Care Nurses Association (APNA) and the Thoracic Society of Australia and New Zealand (TSANZ).
Also available is My Asthma Guide, a patient summary translating the guidelines into easily understandable information and advice for people with asthma and their families.