Using your allergy nasal spray properly is important.
This short video shows you how to use Nasonex.
Checklist of steps
- Blow nose gently
- Shake nasal spray gently
- Remove cap
- Hold nasal spray upright, thumb beneath the bottle, fingers on either side of the nozzle
- Tilt your head forward slightly
- Close one nostril with your finger
- Place the nozzle in other nostril
- Point the nozzle away from the centre ridge of your nose, towards the inside corner of your eye on the same side*
- Breathe in gently through your nose and press the applicator down firmly between your fingers and thumb
- Remove the nozzle from the nostril and breathe out gently through mouth
- Switch nasal inhaler to other hand and repeat steps 5-10 for the other nostril
- Wipe the nozzle
- Replace the cap
* You might find this easier if you hold the spray in your opposite hand
Your nasal inhaler spray will come with instructions in the package. Always check the package insert for any specific instructions.
Common errors to avoid
- Forgetting to prime the spray device before first use or if you haven't used it for more than 2 weeks
- Skipping doses
- Holding your head in the wrong position (should be tilted forward, not back)
- Pushing the nozzle too hard or far into your nose
- Blowing your nose hard after spraying (the medicine is lost)
- Sniffing hard after spraying (the medicine ends up in your throat instead of your nose)
- Using saline sprays or irrigations after using the medicine, instead of before.
Other nasal spray types
See our complete How-to video library for other nasal sprays and how to use them.
Thanks to Ms Marg Gordon, asthma and respiratory educator, and the patient who participated in this film clip.
Development of this How-to video was supported by an untied educational grant from MSD Australia. The National Asthma Council Australia retained editorial control.