Using your allergy nasal spray properly is important.
This short video shows you how to use Ryaltris.
Checklist of steps
- Blow nose gently
- Shake the bottle well
- Remove cap
- Hold bottle upright, index and middle finger on either side of nozzle, thumb at base of bottle
- Close one nostril with your finger
- Insert nozzle into other nostril
- Point the nozzle away from the centre ridge of your nose, towards the outside of your nose*
- Tilt head forward slightly
- Press the applicator down firmly and breathe in gently through your nose
- Breathe out through mouth
- Repeat steps 8 - 10 for second spray in same nostril
- Switch nasal spray to other hand and repeat steps 4 – 11 for other nostril
- Wipe nozzle
- Replace cap
*This can be achieved by holding the spray in the hand on the same side as the nostril, but you might find this easier if you hold the spray in your opposite hand (as demonstrated in video).
Common errors to avoid
- Forgetting to prime the spray device before first use or if you haven't used it for 14 days or more
- Skipping doses
- Holding your head in the wrong position (should be tilted forward, not back)
- Pushing the nozzle too hard or far into your nose
- Blowing your nose hard after spraying (the medicine is lost)
- Sniffing hard after spraying (the medicine ends up in your throat instead of your nose)
- Using the medicine before saline sprays or irrigations, as they should be used first (saline can be used again after waiting at least an hour)
Other nasal spray types
See our complete How-to video library for other nasal sprays and how to use them.
Thanks to Ms Narelle Williamson, Asthma and Respiratory Educator, and the patient who participated in this film clip.
Development of this How-to video was supported by Seqirus Australia. The National Asthma Council Australia retained editorial control.
Although all care has been taken, this video is a general guide only, which is not a substitute for assessment of appropriate courses of treatment on a case-by-case basis. The National Asthma Council Australia expressly disclaims all responsibility (including for negligence) for any loss, damage or personal injury resulting from reliance on the information contained herein.